By Dr. George Onuorah
The When In Need Foundation (WIN) is a nonprofit organization that sets its sights on improving lives of under-resourced communities around the world. It is a 501(c) 3 that until now has been funded entirely by Nigerian-born Dr. Chetachi Nwoga-Ecton, a social worker by profession who became independently wealthy as CEO of an entertainment production company.
WIN primarily targets orphans, students, widows, single mothers, and the elderly in four main areas of intervention:
• We provide mobile clinics that screen individuals for a variety of conditions, from malaria to what has become a leading cause of death around the world, high blood pressure.
• We equip children with school supplies, including backpacks, uniforms, books, etc., and provide continuing education grants to students. We also build schoolhouses in areas where children still take classes, out-of-doors, under a tree.
• WIN has set up a pilot program in Nigeria that enables widows and the poor to grow food not only to feed their families but create employment opportunities.
• WIN has built elevated tanks to supply communities with pure drinking water, uncontaminated by chemicals.
WIN employ four strategic approaches in serving less privileged communities.
• First, it conducts an analysis of a community’s needs.
• It assesses locally available resources for in-kind contributions.
• It establishes partnerships with local authorities, government institutions, and experts.
• It lobbies international humanitarian donors to fund community needs.
WIN has had a major impact in the United States and in Africa, primarily in Nigeria. It has also sustained partnerships serving orphans in seven countries around the world: Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Spain, Italy, France and Dominican Republic.
Its mobile clinics provide free medical screenings, treatment and referrals. They also offer otherwise unavailable advice on reproductive health.
One of the things that sets When In Need apart from other foundations is its one main funding source, Dr. Chetachi Ecton. This immigrant single mother is passionate about making a difference in the lives of the needy, and uses her savings and investments to touch the lives of others around the world.
Anyone who wishes to advance our cause may do so by volunteering during our events or making financial donations. We encourage you to visit our website at winfound.org or call (347) 249-3500